Monday, August 16, 2010

Birthdays, classes, and fickle weather!

Apparently it really is true that one is more likely to conceive in the winter, because MAN have there been birthday celebrations in the last two weeks! Just since the beginning of August, I've celebrated 9 birthdays! It has definitely been a fun month :-)

Here is a picture of a "cordero" (lamb) roasting from the day 
my host family celebrated 5 birthdays:


and here is a picture of a piglet they baked and loved:


I did not partake in the gobbling of either of these baby animals (except for the tiny bite of baby piglet my host grandfather practically forced down my throat).

Other than birthday celebrating, I've been pretty busy with trying to settle down with my classes. By pretty busy I mean practically ripping my hair out at the stress of it all. Because we are taking classes at two Universities - Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile y Universidad de Chile - registering for classes was especially difficult because you have to be mindful of commuting times between classes (campuses are spread out all over the city). And I think it was particularly annoying for me because there are very specific classes I have to take to complete my major and some of my core requirements and successfully graduate in May. BUT the process is finally over and life, as we know it, may resume. Here are the classes I am taking. They are all in Spanish, but here is a translation:
-Chilean Art, 1950-2000 (Instructed by the director of the "Museo Bellas Artes")
-Dictatorships, Human Rights and Historical Memory in Chile and the Southern Cone (Instructed by our coordinator/professor, Mauricio Parades. Brilliant historian!)
-International Law of Human Rights (instructed by Jose Zalaquett, exile of the 80s and subsequent president of Amnesty Intl., London)
-Film, Memory and Human Rights

I only have to take four classes during the semester because of the Contemporary Issues in Chile and Latin America seminar we took (reason we traveled to Argentina and Uruguay) which continues sort of sporadically through October. Definitely relieved that I can take just 12 credits, because I have a feeling it's going to be annoying to keep up with the classes during the semester (first day of my Chilean Art class was at the museum, and we were somehow supposed to assume that; second and third day of Intl. Law class was randomly cancelled for a student-led panel; Film class professor forgot syllabus two weeks in a row. Great classes, just MUCH less organized than US universities). I will also be interning for the International Relations office at the U de Chile twice a week! Very excited :-)

And let's just briefly mention the weather. It was beautifullllll for about 3-4 consecutive days last week, and I thought the cold was finally dwindling. Except NOT. It got cold and gray and yucky immediately after. I tell ya... My host mom is keeping a countdown til early September, when the weather will supposedly become consistently pleasant. I am counting down with her. 

And lastly, I got lost for about 30 minutes today, which I was really happy about because I think it's a great way to learn my way around. For example, I learned I cannot take the 503 or 216 bus home. And, as a result three really great things happened: 
1. A stray dog was on the first [wrong] bus I took, and no one even cared. No one made him get off, no one made a fuss, NOTHING. All I kept thinking was "imagine if this were to happen in NYC?!" I'd bet my marbles it would make local news.
2. When I finally found the right bus, I was able to go in to a pharmacy right behind the bus stop and buy Trix! And yes, that does qualify as a great thing because Chileans are not very big on cereal. Or peanut butter!
3. I was able to witness this incredible sunset! 
Harrison took this great photo, and I stole it from his facebook
                                    

That's it for now - gotta get to some reading for my film class tomorrow. I will try to post with more frequency! I will leave you with some fun Chilenismos, lol:

Fome: boring
¿Cachai?: you following? or catch my drift?
Al tiro: right away, immediately
Ya: ok or gotcha. they use and abuse this word
Poh: Chileans throw this badboy at the end of almost everything they say, much like "ya". In fact, "ya po" is a very common combo, as are "si po"and "no po"

Cheers!

Mirelis

1 comment:

l0vecassie said...

I cant believe you ate the pig?! Thats the first thing I have to say and second holy moly 12 credits? thats just not normal for you. Im excited that your having fun so far and getting lost. Even though I miss you and court im excited that you guys are having a blast in chile. Tell me how your job is once you start.

xoxoxo